Call for Proposals
2012 AzLA Conference: Beyond the Box
The Arizona Library Association is now accepting program submissions for the 2012 AzLA Annual Conference! This year, the conference will be held November 8-10, 2012 at South Mountain Community College in Phoenix.
Conference Theme: Beyond the Box
How do we cultivate new ways of perceiving? We are often asked to think outside the box, but what does that really mean? In general terms it means to re-envision a situation in ways beyond the ordinary. At this year’s conference you will be invited to imagine the possibilities of a new approach or an innovative solution to one of your library “problems.” Think beyond the library building, think beyond the roles you currently fill and know that many great ideas start with something that sounds impossible. The 2012 AzLA Conference invites you to turn the box upside down, deconstruct it and think beyond the box.
- Preconferences and Programs: Submission deadline has passed.
- Posters and Roundtables: May 25, 2012
- Leadership & Staff Development - Explore leadership, management, and organizational/career development issues, trends, and best practices.
- Children & Young Adults - Share exciting, practical, and theoretical ideas and information about serving children and young adults
- Information Literacy & Teaching - Focus on instruction techniques, theory, information literacy, and classroom trends and topics.
- User Services - Explore collection development topics, new trends in designing user spaces, and improving public services.
- Technology & Tech Services - Explore ideas and information about digital library issues, metadata standards, and hot new technology trends
- Library Outreach, Marketing and Advocacy - Teach others how to create partnerships, be aware of legislative issues, advocate for libraries, and new marketing techniques and ideas.
To submit a proposal, fill out the appropriate form:
Please ensure that this information is complete and up to date, so we can contact each speaker/presenter if necessary. The speaker/presenter listed as Speaker 1 will be the primary contact person for the program.
The following information about each speaker/presenter will be included in the introduction for the program:
- Speaker Bio
Funding for Eligible Conference Speakers/Presenters
Eligibility for Funding (Reimbursement):
- Speakers/Presenters who live outside of Arizona and are not members of AzLA
- Speakers/Presenters who live in Arizona but do not work in a library or as an information specialist and are not members of AzLA
NOT eligible for reimbursement are members of AzLA or anyone who works in an Arizona library.
All requests for funding must be included in this proposal and will be reviewed by the Program and Conference Planning Committees. AzLA cannot accommodate new requests for funding after the preconference has been accepted.
AzLA provides an honorarium and reimbursement for travel expenses. Eligible Speakers/Presenters will be reimbursed for travel expenses and paid honorarium (if applicable) after the conference. All Speakers/Presenters must make his/her own travel arrangements.
The following are the maximum amounts that will be allocated for travel expenses.
- Airfare: From states bordering Arizona - $ 300.00; From all other states - $600.00
- Mileage (in lieu of airfare): Current State of Arizona rate
- Ground transportation: $ 100.00 (round trip)
- Meals (per diem): $ 35.00/day
- Hotel (room charge and taxes only): $ 160.00/night (2 nights maximum)
Note: Requests for reimbursement do not constitute a guarantee that you will be approved to receive all funds requested. If your program is selected your speaker contract will specify the exact amounts you will be reimbursed. If you have any questions about this, please contact Ella Gomez email@example.com or René Tanner firstname.lastname@example.org
AzLA does not reimburse for printing, photocopying, postage, or office supplies.
No outside food or beverage may be used as part of the preconference.
In an effort to encourage presenters to support the Organization that provides the opportunity to make professional contributions through conference programs and posters, the AzLA Executive Board passed a measure on October 13, 2006 requiring all speakers and/or presenters (program or poster) with an affiliation to libraries or librarianship, living and/or working in the state of Arizona to register for the AzLA Conference for a minimum of one day at their level of eligibility (member or non-member).
Go to Annual Conference